This drill teaches players to attack the goal no matter when the ball is or how close the goalie may be.
- Create two lines of attackers on the 18.
- One line will be even with one goal post while the other line will be even with the other post.
How it Works
- Players at the front of each line will sprint toward the goal.
- A coach will be behind the goal with many balls. He may elect to have one player handing him balls.
- As the players sprint toward the goal, the coach will throw a ball toward them. The coach can lob the ball up so they are forced to head the ball or the coach can throw the ball at their feet or somewhere in between.
- The attackers must redirect the ball into the goal.
- This is repeated and players return to the back of the line.
- To start you might not want to have a goalie but to make it more difficult and once players are more experience you can add one.
- Too often players stop attacking once the ball gets to the goalie. So if there is a rebound the attackers don’t take advantage of it.
- This drill helps teach the players to keep attacking. It also helps them learn to control the rebound and/or one touch it into the goal.