Encourages defenders to keep attackers out wide instead of going for a tackle, missing and letting them penetrate.
- Mark off a field that is approximately 30 yards long by 25 yards wide.
- Divide team into two lines – defenders stand on the end line opposite the goal.
- Attackers stand on the sidelines.
- Defender plays a ball out wide and attacker chases it down.
- Defender then closes out the attacker and tries to keep them away from the goal and near the touchline.
- Defender gets a point for his or her team if they can stop the attacker from getting a shot away.
- Attacker gets a point if they do get a shot away.
- Concept to stress to the defenders: “close down, slow down” – i.e. get to the man fast but don’t dive in at the ball.