This U11 soccer practice plan focuses on shooting technique. We’ll introduce a variety of fun drills to help develop shooting fundamentals and apply those skills to game situations.
If you’d the printable version of this practice – click the button below.
Phase 1 – The Big Kick (0:00-0:15)
- Set up a couple of nets or goals and two lines of players equipped with balls at each one.
- Show the players how to go through the proper shooting form by planting the foot, creating a contact point, and then following through.
- Have the players do this and get them to kick the ball at the net.
- Most young players will want to try and kick the ball hard.
- Get them to slow down and try to keep things under control so they can learn to kick properly.
- You can ensure players that they will learn to kick it harder once they learn how to kick it properly.
Phase 2 – Turn and Shoot (0:15-0:30)
- Divide your team into four pairs of four players.
- The pairs will line-up near the 18 on both sides of the field, two pairs at each 18.
- One line of players will be outside the 18 and facing the goal while the other players will have their backs to the goal and be inside the 18.
- They should be about 10 yds. apart.
- The players outside the 18 will pass to their partner inside the 18.
- Those players will trap the ball, turn, and fire at the goal.
- After a few turns, players will switch roles.
- Instruct the shooting player to have their head down, planted foot bent, and to follow through the kick landing on their kicking foot.
Phase 3 – 5 vs 5 King of the Field (0:30-1:00)
- Set up two goals in a field the size of two 18 yd. boxes.
- 5v5 with goalies, you can adjust your numbers according to the number of players you have.
- The first team to score two goals or whoever is ahead after 2 minutes of play wins and a new team comes on.
- If a game is tied after two minutes then the team that was on the longest stays on the field.
- Make sure the teams that are not playing are getting plenty of water and are shagging the balls.
- This is a game where there can be a lot of opportunities for players to shoot; encourage players to use good technique.
WATER BREAK – 2 Minutes
Phase 4 – Play and Apply (1:00-1:30)
- Set up a Goal at half field and split up teams.
- Play eight 7 vs 7 or 8 vs 8. Whatever your numbers permit. Adjust the field length and width as you see fit.
- Play two 15 minute halves and switch sides.
- Allow players to play and encourage them to shoot a lot, practicing proper technique and strength.
COOL DOWN AND STRETCH