Players learn how volley control plays a role in both individual and team effort to maintain possession of the ball.
- Arrange your players into groups of three players and make sure each group has two balls.
How it Works
- There will be a player in the middle of two players.
- There should be about 10 yards separating each of the players.
- The two players on the ends should each have a ball.
- The player in the middle will step toward one player on the end.
- That player will serve the ball through the air to the player in the middle.
- The player has to volley the ball back to the server.
- Then the player in the middle turns and goes back toward the other player on the other end and repeats the process.
- Have them repeat several times and then rotate positions so every player gets a chance to take the volleys in the middle.
- Part of keeping possession of the ball is being able to take a ball out of the air and volley it to a teammate. This drill allows players to practice volleying with all parts of their body.