Players learn how to keep possession of the ball and how to look to pass the ball up the field.
- Set up four cones so that they form a rectangle that’s about 20 yards long and 10 yards wide.
- There should be a line running through the middle of the rectangle so that two sections are created that measure about 10×10 each. You could use the sideline, goal line, or anything else.
- Divide the players into groups of five.
How it Works
- Begin with two attacking players on one side and one attacking player on the other side.
- There should be one defender in each half.
- The ball will begin with one of the two attacking players.
- These two players must pass the ball to each other five times.
- Then they have to look to pass the ball to the other attacker on the other side.
- Once that pass is made, one of the two attackers goes into the other half of the field and a 2v1 is created there.
- The defenders try to steal the ball from the attackers and if they are successful the drill moves to the other side of the rectangle.
- The process repeats it-self.
- This is an excellent exercise that teaches players to make runs to get open and to communicate with each other.
- It also helps defensive players develop needed skills in a 2v1 scenario.