This drill teaches players to stop the ball so they can control it and improve their game.
Depending on the number of coaches you have, you might be able to run more than one line. All you need is a ball, and your players in single file lines facing you about 10 yards away.
1.Roll the ball toward your players.
2. They need to stop it by putting their foot on top of the ball.
3. They then kick the ball back to you and go to the back of the line.
4. Repeat until each player has gone through the line at least 2-3 times.
It is important for younger players to understand what happens when the ball comes to them. Stopping the ball is the first step in gaining control of it. Explain to your players that when they get the ball, one of the first things they are going to do is stop the ball to maintain control.
• You can vary the difficulty of this drill by having the kids go to their right or left to stop the ball, and you can roll the ball harder.
• After repeating this drill time after time, you will notice a significant increase in the ability of your players to stop and control the ball before moving on.